Salute to Tomas Cloma and former President Ferdinand E. Marcos! For without Cloma’s exploration and effective occupation in 1947 and Marcos’ issuance of PD 1596 on June 11, 1956, Kalayaan may not be part of the Philippine territory. The successful conduct of various activities had opened the avenue of friendship, camaraderie, enjoyment and assessment of what been accomplished by today’s administration.
The theme “Kalayaan @ 35: matuwid na pamahalaan, matatag na bayan, masiglang pamayanan" had showcase what is the present status of Kalayaan in terms of how it operates as an administrative unit, and how could the community be described.
1. With the conduct of turn-over ceremonies of the newly-rehabilated Municipal Hall and Municipal Disaster Operation Center, the newly-constructed Municipal Engineering/warehouse building, newly-completed installation of solar street lights has proved that government funds are used to bring infrastructure development in Pag-asa that would improve service delivery of the government;
2. Dialogue with the residents of Pag-asa with the Municipal Mayor together with the department heads resolved the issues and concern about utilities, basic services , housing, and other issues regarding labor and employment;
3. The 1st ever commencement exercises of Pag-asa Elementary School was a historical landmark. It will prove to the world the exercise of sovereignty over the Philippine territory. Four kindergartens were confirmed graduates.
4. The groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of elementary school building, a project donation of Ten-moves Foundation acquired through WESCOM Commander LTGen Juancho M Sabban had assured the school children that they will have their home to learn and to becoming successful graduates of the first ever elementary school in the Spratlys;
5. The conduct of sports activities such as basketball, billiard, table tennis, volleyball brought more excitement to the residents, employees and military personnel as they participate and partake the prizes at stake;
6. GAD-initiated activities such Gupit and manicure training seminar, orientation on basic herbal medicines, and organization of women’s association had improved the awareness of the women residents about the services of the government by making those partners of development;
7. The CapDev Workshop conducted to island-based COS revealed attitude problems among them towards work and responsibilities, lacking office tools, materials, equipment and system operation. Water, power, hauling equipment and communication system are among the major problems that are currently experienced. During the objective tree analysis, it was found out that almost all of the priorities or major problems identified have been addressed already under the 2013 annual investment plan;
8. Orientation on Batas Pambansa or the Omnibus Election Code was very timely. Participants were able to understand the prohibited acts during election period and the corresponding penalties;
9. Public hearing on the Revised revenue code and the Citizens charter was used as a tool to get the public’s view on the proposed code and charter;
10. To equip the residents with knowledge and consciousness on disaster preparedness, basic life support and first aid and water safety orientation were conducted. The MDRRM office also facilitated the conduct of the first triathlon challenge in the island;
11. Team building activities were conducted that made the anniversary more fun and enjoyable. The first ever amazing race challenged group efforts to participants to finish the race made of both mind and physical challenges. Cheerdance competition likewise tested the capability of the group to prepare coordinated works and dance steps, and lastly, individuals and groups were given opportunity to showcase their talents with prizes at stake during the Kalayaan Got Talent Season 2 Edition;
12. Four couples officially received the blessing of matrimony. The first Kasalang Bayan solemnized by the Municipal Mayor;
13. The success of peaceful election is also among the reasons to celebrate the 35th foundation year of the Municipality. People were gathered at night of May 14, 2013. Dinner was served before the Cheerdance competition, followed by the awarding ceremony. Winners of different sports and team-building activities received .their cash prizes from the Honorable Mayor Eugenio B. Bito-onon, Jr. As per election results as judged by the people in the community, he has to serve for another three years.